Top 10 Reasons to Get Excited about the 2013 Season
The enthusiasm is building for the 2013 season with Opening Day just around the corner. The season kicks off on June 5 when the Akron Racers travel to The Ballpark at Rosemont to take on the Chicago Bandits. The New York / New Jersey Comets and USSSA Pride join in the action with their opening series beginning on June 9 in Kissimmee, FL.
Although we’ve got plenty of reasons to be pumped for the 2013 season, here’s a top 10 list of why you should be excited for the pro fastpitch action this year:
1. More opportunities to watch NPF games on TV. 16 games will be televised either on ESPN2 or ESPN3. This is the largest television deal in NPF history!
2. A brand new team to watch in the Northeast. This is the first season for the NY / NJ Comets, which joined the NPF earlier this year. Not only does this add a new dynamic to the League, but it also gives fans in the Northeast the chance to make it to games in person.
3. Cat Osterman’s historic last season with the NPF. Cat Osterman has announced her retirement from competition at the end of the season - don’t miss this final opportunity to watch her play!
4. First Japanese player joins the League. Ayumi Karino, a 2008 Olympic Gold medalist from Japan, joined the Akron Racers, making her the first Japanese player to join the NPF. Karino also plays for Toyota Shokki, a member of the Japanese Softball League. Following Karino, Chicago Bandits also signed Japanese players Kazuki Watanabe and Eri Yamada and the USSSA Pride sign Haruna Sakamoto.
5. 20 talented college draftees, 18 of which appeared in the NCAA Tournament.
6. New Championship Series format. The new format places more emphasis on seeding and compacts the Series into a three-day event as it returns to Chicago for the second and final year.
7. NPF Classic brings pro fastpitch games to Corpus Christi. The four-day event features the Akron Racers and USSSA Pride on June 13 – 15 and will be held at Whataburger Field, home of the Corpus Christi Hooks Minor League Baseball Team.
8. 80 of the world’s best fastpitch players in one dynamic league.
9. 88 regular season games all summer long!
10. YOU! The fans are the reason the league exists. Thanks for supporting the NPF, the teams and all of the players. Attending games, tuning in on TV, spreading the word and connecting with us on social networks are all great ways to support the NPF and keep professional fastpitch softball alive!